Tuesday, April 23, 2013

13 Questions Parents Should Ask at an IEP/School Meeting in 2013


1.  How will the therapists provide services for my child (in what environment, classroom or therapy room?) What are some examples of interventions that they have used to help students succeed?

2.  To what extent will my child have access to the general education curriculum and participate in activities with typically developing peers? What is the teaching model?   Self-contained/team teaching?

3. How do parents and teachers/therapists communicate with each other?

4. How do you handle challenging behaviors?

5. Is my child going to have the same access to extracurricular activities as other, non-disabled students?

6.  Can you give me an example of how you differentiate instruction for your students?

7.  Why does my son/daughter require the recommended placement?

8.  Why?  (Ask for an explanation if you don’t understand or feel comfortable.   Remember you know your child the best!)

9.  What is the process if we (the team, you included) feel the IEP needs to be changed? 

10.  Can I come observe in the classroom?

11. What is the level of parent involvement in your school? How does the school promote communication between teachers, service providers, and parents?

12.  What steps will the teachers and providers take to make sure the instruction fits my child's learning style?

13. Will the homework reflect my child's individual needs as often as possible? Will I be provided with resources and ideas for reinforcing at home the material that is taught in school?


The IEP is the framework that guides the next year of your student’s education.  Take the time to ask questions, share stories about your student, and be the best advocate you can be!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment